Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tilling Away Today

It feels so good to see progress in the garden, and know that in less than 2 weeks, I will be planting in the actual garden!!! YAY! In preparation, Mikey and I have borrowed a tiller from his dad, he has 4 - each ranging in different sizes... Whoa! The one we borrowed is bigger than a flower bed tiller, but still small enough to get around corners, and till up the garden in a good amount of time!

I've never used one before but they are pretty easy to use, and easier to start than our go karts. It does pull you around a lot, so I let Mikey do the tilling while I followed behind with a rake to smooth it all out. Here is a picture of the smaller garden area tilled, and then Mikey working on a longer strip in between the smaller and larger garden (click on pics for full size):



We'll be working up the larger garden in a day or two. It has been very warm out this past week, and tons of green things are popping up in the garden! Here are a few:

Daffodils:

Rhubarb:

Tulips (have not yet bloomed)

Hyacinths:

AND, Birch Trees:

*GUSH* I'm so excited! I think I have a new crush on Spring time!! (Don't tell Fall, it would be devastated!) Later in the evening, Mikey and I took down this monstrosity of carpentry that boxed in the area around the gas meter and piping. The previous owner pieced together some sort of table (I guess...) and, even had a board screwed up against the side of the garage! What a great way to collect snow, leaves, debris, water, and create mold, rot, and other yucky things!

When we were taking it apart, we found a bush underneath, that was still alive, and its starting to put out green buds!! Wow this bush must be hardy! After Mikey dismantled all the pieces, I raked out all the leaves and debris, and found that the soil underneath was actually perfect for a shallow flowerbed! I propped up a leftover piece of wood, and filled the area with some growing medium, Theeeeennn I can sprinkle on some wildflower seeds which will fill in the area a bit better!

I was seriously so impressed with the transformation, and how amazing it looked after, I literally just stood there in awe for 10 minutes. I couldn't help but think "what the hell was that guy thinking when he built that there?" LOL! Here is two before pictures, its really hard to see exactly how crappy this thing was, and I REALLY regret not taking a photo of it myself before hand - up close. Here it is from one of the listing photos, and then one from our possession:



It may not seem like that much of a difference, but if you saw it in person, you would be amazed! This is what it looks like now:




No comments:

Post a Comment