Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pantry Makeover!!!

I'm so proud of myself! Along with the help of Ikea, I truly can make any space beautiful, even the small and inefficient ones! We have a weird room off of the kitchen, smushed between the outside mud room, and door to the basement. I think this weird room was originally the mud room/back entrance and the mudroom we have now is an add on. Either way, it had some strange shelving built onto the one wall which consisted of two deep shelves with a clothes railing, and 1 narrow shelf off to the left. This room also houses our electrical panels.

Here are some before pictures (click on the picture to view full size):


I've been using this room as a storage area for kitchen things like the rolling dishwasher, boxes of garbage bags, canning equipment and jars, brooms, mops, and alike. But I would prefer if it could function more as a pantry to hold storage and dry food items, extra and decorative dishes, small appliances, etc,etc. The room was painted white, grey, and high gloss dusty pink... and it had a kitty cat wall paper boarder which we took down ASAP!!!


Since moving in, Mikey and I have replaced the light fixture with something simple and cheap from Ikea, but haven't worked on the room other than that. During this past weekend, I decided that I have had enough with this room, and the junk it was collecting, so we took down the shelving. I've painted the room green - which is the same colour as our kitchen/dining room accent wall (Asparagus, by Behr) - and have purchased some "heavy duty" shelving from Ikea.

Here is the room after being prepped and then painted:


<- view into kitchen

The storage system we chose is wall mounted, with 2 long, deep galvanized metal shelves at the bottom, and 4 long, narrow wooden shelves at the top. Total cost with all the pieces was only $185 or so! The unit fits everything I wanted it to store, and keeps it all very organized and neat. Not to mention it looks 100% better!! YAY! Thank you Ikea for saving my weird panty room dilemmas! Now I just have to paint the trim and the ceiling white!

Finished:


2 comments: