Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Starting Seeds!

You know, I started this blog so that I could tell you all about my gardening experiences, and I haven't really written about that yet! Today I planted some new seeds, and remembered that I should write about it! Perhaps I should go through everything that I have grown so far!

Avocados:
Apparently you can save avocado seeds, suspend them in water so they will crack open, and form a root and sprout! I thought that was such a cool idea, so I saved 2 seeds, and started trying. I started them at the beginning of March, but nothing has happened so far, (even tho it can take a few months) but then a friend of mine advised me that it might not be safe to have an avocado plant in my house. I did some research and found that the seed, plant and leaves can be deathly toxic to animals! (and we all know how cats - and some dogs - love to chew on our house plants) So, I decided to compost them.

Pineapples:
If you chop off the top of the pineapple and save the crown, you can apparently grow that as well! I saved 2 crowns and tried to allow them to produce roots by suspending them in a glass of water. There were some really super small roots that had formed - but didn't get long enough before the plant started to rot, and smell extremely gross! I have composted them since, and will try again next time I buy a pineapple.

Seeds started indoors in the middle of March:
Sunberries, Onions (early crop), Ground Cherries, Celery, Petunias, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, Catnip, Strawberries, Tomatoes.
About 7 days after sowing, my Tomatoes, Petunias and Onions started to sprout. 11 days later, Celery and Strawberries sprouted. It took 13 days for the Peppers to come up, and 14 for the Ground Cherries. 18 days for the Sunberries, and the Catnip... never germinated.

Seeds started indoors in the middle of April:
Lettuce, Pumpkins, Watermelons, Cantaloupe, Catnip (again), Squash, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Broccoli!

I have transferred my Tomatoes into coir pots because they all have 2 true leaves forming now. Soon I will transplant them into the greenhouse. I also planted some seeds from a lemon - just for kicks. If they grow, they grow. If they don't, no biggie. It's not like I'm expecting to get fruit from them, I would just like to see if I could actually grow them, and maybe keep them as a nice pruned house plant!

Tomatoes in their new coir pots

A friend of mine gave me some Amaryllis Flower bulbs that came in a kit. They have a pot and soil already, all you have to do is water it. I put them out and watered them on the 12th, and they are already starting to put out green sprouts. And, I have also noticed some flowers blooming in my garden! I have no idea what kind they are, but they are small and cute!



There are some more flowers almost ready to bloom on the left!




No comments:

Post a Comment