Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

25 years in 6 paragraphs!

Well, there is nothing worse then diving head first into this blog, and have everyone lost right off the bat! So, before I start talking about all the fun I've been having lately, I guess its only fair to get you all up to speed!

OK - here is the quick low down of my last 25 years:

I grew up in a small town called Maple Ridge, in BC - about an hour from Vancouver. I lived there with my mom and cat, and was typically a loner, finding things to do by myself, and always looking for a new adventure. Life was tough then - even if I didn't realize it at the time - but I always wanted to make the best out of any situation.

When I was 16, I moved away from Maple Ridge, and it was then that I began to find out that I needed to learn to take care of myself. Because my mom always took care of everything around the house, I never picked up on the simple necessities of self sufficiency - I didn't know how to cook, clean, or even load a washing machine! How could I be an independent young woman if I cant even make a pot of rice!

It still wasn't until I was about 18, that I started to think about myself as undereducated. I wanted to learn new things, but mostly broaden my horizons, see new places. So I quit my job, put all my belongings in storage, and hitchhiked across Canada... Well - almost. The furthest East I traveled was Montreal. But this experience was just what I needed. I really learned a lot about myself.

The new life experience really changed something in me. I started feeling confident about what I wanted to do in everyday life. I also learned that no matter where I went in life, I would be able to get by, get along, and mainly - survive. I felt I had the tools to start new, and make something soley for myself. So, just before I turned 20, I decided that I wanted to move away, and perhaps - just start over.

I moved to Edmonton in August of 2004, and I haven't left since by forcing myself to become more independent and making a way of my own. Since then, I have learned even more, and I am so great-full to have had all of these learning experiences and have the opportunity to become who I truly am! Life is very different when you make your own way, and have to build from the ground up!

Just recently - within the past 6 months - Mikey (my boyfriend) and I have become new homeowners, in a small Hamlet (which is even smaller than a village) called Tomahawk. We are still in Alberta, but almost 1-1.5 hours away from Edmonton. This is undoubtedly the smallest community that I have ever lived in! Life is different, but I think I've been taking the transition pretty well... although some changes are a bit odd - but we'll get into those later! Now my next life challenge will be home ownership, learning how to grow a garden, tending to a greenhouse, and maybe becoming a wife and mother - all while staying sane in small town Alberta - with no drivers license I may add!

Let the games begin!



Here is a video from my trip east in 2003:

No comments:

Post a Comment