Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

RED RUM.. I mean, red door... *ahem*

Ive been pretty sick these last few days, missing work, I have a nose that feels like sandpaper, and yet I am still trying to get stuff done off of my to do list. So, I thought it would be a good idea to take it easy, and try to finish a small painting project - the front door. The great thing about doing it while you're sick is that you can't smell the paint fumes! My sister Lindsay has been bugging me to paint my front door red for the longest time now, so I have decided to give in, and paint it red as per her request. But let me tell you, I will NEVER paint anything red again - even tho I still have to paint a feature wall in the Master bedroom red (this may be reconsidered).

First, you have to prime it with pink primer so that you don't have to do as many coats, but I still had to apply 2-3 coats of red paint just to get good coverage. THEN the door started bubbling... OMG, that better not be OIL PAINT under there!!! Silly me, I didn't test it, and just assumed it was latex. Once the primer dried and the first coat of paint went on, the bubbles went away - mostly... but I will probably still have to sand it down, prime it again, and repaint - but that will be after the house warming. *sigh* How tiring. But I did it for Lindsay, so it's worth it because it actually looks terrific. She is flying all the way from Vancouver to visit for the house warming, so I wanted it done.

Here are the before pictures, this first one is at the time of possession, and there is still wallpaper up: *shrugs*


Then, we took the wallpaper down:


Here you can see that I fixed up the door and trim where the paint was peeling away, and needed some touch ups:


The hot pink door (primer) which actually looks pretty sweet, LOL and the bubbles that came with it (click for full view):


Finally, the first, second, and third coat of red. It looks super dark in the pictures, but it's because of the sun shining in through the window:


Once the sun is on the other side of the house, I'll take another and try to get the true colour to show. I've just got a few touch ups to do here and there, and hopefully those bubbles don't come back to haunt me!

3 comments: