Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Insane in the Membrane

Someone once said: "Insanity is repeating the same action over and over expecting different results." ... ... That sounds a lot like gardening! Ha ha, I don't take this saying with any seriousness, but if it were true, I'd be a loon in no time! (Or maybe I already am..) Today I did a lot of work in the garden, and I know for a fact that next year I will be doing the exact same thing, with different results I'm sure.

Yesterday I wrote out a huge to do list for the house and garden before our housewarming at the beginning of June! When I woke up this morning, I finished replacing the doorknobs that I started yesterday, then for the next few hours I worked outside. I started by removing anything that was dead in the garden. I removed debris like pine cones, broken branches, leaves, I cut out dead flowers, plants, tree limbs, and I also pulled some weeds.

I filled my wheelbarrow about 5 times with cuttings, and I'm sure there is more that I missed or just couldn't get to. It feels like there is still so much to do! (I'v only knocked about 2.5 things off of the list) I've noticed some newer stuff emerging in the garden, and some of the smaller trees are starting to bloom! The leaves on the larger trees in the yard are starting to unfold too. Oh, and my Rhubarb is growing like crazy! I even found a second Rhubarb plant in amongst some bushes. I picked out the perfect spot for our hammock, its not in the sun, and it is secluded from our neighbor, but also has a view to the open field behind us. This means on a hot and sunny day, I can lay there in the cool shade and relax/nap after a hard days work in the garden.

You know, it's crazy what a difference something simple like raking your lawn can do for your yards appearance! I was in behind the house where I am hoping to put our fire pit, and the entire area is lined by pine trees. But you see, a handful of pine trees = millions of pine cones! This specific piece of yard doesn't have a lot of grass (another reason why I picked it for the fire pit) but it just looked so forgotten and messy. The solution? I raked up all the pine cones and broken branches, and whatever else was hiding down there. It looks a million times better!

I also had to look up the fire and burning bylaws for our area, which advised me that the fire pit needs to be 3m away from anything combustible (house, trees, etc), needs to be made out of a thick metal, and needs to have a grate. That is perfect, because I made a fire pit at the farm while we were living there out of an old barrel that was already cut in half, and we found a metal grate to place on top! We'll just grab it from the farm and Viola! Perfect sized, law abiding fire pit!

Now it's almost dinner time, and I am starving! Maybe I'll pull something out for the BBQ! ... Wait a minute... doesn't everyone try to make dinner every night, and hope for different results? I know I sure do. Maybe we're all Insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment