Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

TOM PETTY!!!

By the age of five, I knew all the words to "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers, from the album Full Moon Fever. It was my favorite album of all time... actually, it was probably the only album I had ever listened to in its entirety at that point in my life. I still remember the day my mom finally gave me her Full Moon Fever tape for me to keep and listen to whenever I wanted. I would listen to it in my room, and read the lyrics while I sang along to each song, and eventually learnt them by heart. Still to this day can sing along word for word to the entire album. I like to listen to the album start to finish, because it sounds strange to me if "Love is a Long Road" doesn't follow "I Won't Back Down", etc. etc.


Speaking of "I Won't Back Down"... There is a part in the course when I always thought he said my name... This is what I used to think he said: "Heeeey baby, there ain't no easy way out... Heeeey, Leane... I stand my ground, and I wont back down". Watch and listen:


Some years later, a school friend asked to borrow my Tom Petty tape... I reluctantly lent it out, and she returned it with the fold out insert ripped in half. Not that it was her fault - that thing had been folded and unfolded so many times, it was bound to happen eventually - but I was so upset, so I tried to tape it back together, but then it wouldn't fold properly, so I removed the tape and it took off some the the words from the paper... I got super frustrated and actually cried. It was at that moment, that I knew Tom Petty was something special to me. Throughout my high school years and moving around a lot, I eventually lost the tape, but never lost my memories of singing Free Fallin' with my mom as we drove around, or trying to play it on my guitar in music class.

A couple months ago, I heard on the radio that Tom Petty was coming to Edmonton, and brushed it off because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford tickets. I was just starting my new job, and I had a lot of bills to pay off. This month Mikey surprised me by buying tickets to the show and tried to keep it a secret... But he spilled the beans! Regardless, I was still surprised that he would do such a fantastic thing for me, I didn't even realize that he knew I loved Tom Petty that much! I was so excited to finally see the man who inspired me musically 20 years ago!

Seeing Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers live was a dream come true for me. He sounded amazing, and thoroughly thanked us for the applaud after each song. The band had great energy, and the crowd sang along to almost every song. I may or may not have cried when they played some songs off of the Full Moon Fever album, such as "Free Fallin", "Runnin' Down a Dream", and "I Won't Back Down". This also may or may not have been due to the fact that the entire coliseum became a huge hot box the minute Tom Petty set foot on stage! They of course played other big hits like "Last Dance with Mary-Jane", "Refugee", and "Don't Come Around Here No More". They also played a mini set from their brand new album which I haven't had a chance to listen to yet. All in all, I had an amazing time, thank you Mikey for taking me, and thank you Tom Petty for being such an amazing musician, and positively influencing my younger years or life! I will forever cherish these memories.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! im so glad you had a good time! Tom petty will always remind me of you and the begining years of what has been and will remain such a great freindship! I <3 u homie!!!

    ReplyDelete