Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New Tattoo!

My friend Lindsay and I have been talking for some time now about getting hummingbird tattoos together. Originally the plan was going to be her, me, her mom, and her sister all getting matching hummingbird tattoos, but only Lindsay and I followed through with it. Of course, if the other 2 wanted to still get theirs, they could later on. Either way, last December Lindsay and Mikey gave me a fantastic birthday gift and said that they would each split the cost of my hummingbird tattoo! This meant so much to me because I was currently not working, and didn't have a whole lot of money to spend - but I really wanted the tattoo.

The tattoo holds meaning to both Lindsay and I for different reasons, but is still a great symbol and reminder of our friendship. For myself, hummingbirds have always reminded me of my Grandpa Norm and Grandma Wilma. One year when I was younger, the family was over visiting them, and a hummingbird got into the house through the sliding door! It flew around and around and all together we tried to get it redirected out. Finally it found the open door, and got back outside. That year for Christmas, my mom and I found a handmade glass hummingbird ornament, which they hung in the same doorway that the bird came in from - I suppose it also doubled as a reminder to close the screen door! Every year after that, the glass hummingbird hung there.

Lindsay and I finally booked an appointment with an artist that we have both had work done by, the amazing Miles Kanne at Lucky Strike Tattoo in Edmonton. I have been getting tattooed by him since... 2006-ish I believe - HE IS SERIOUSLY AMAZING! He did both of the sugar skulls on my forearms, my mermaid, and now my hummingbird! He also did Lindsay's amazing Buddha!

Sugar skulls:


Mermaid:


Buddha:


Here are some photos of the new tattoos!

Lindsay's:


Mine:


Together!

1 comment:

  1. Your tattoos are covetable. they're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete