Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

An introduction to skin care

I know this is a bit off the beaten path of gardening, but with my skin care education, I can't help myself! In 2007, I graduated from the Esthetic's program as Eveline Charles Academy in Edmonton. I worked at a small spa for a short time afterwards, but left that career because it wasn't paying for my rent. *hint* *hint* Of course I did services for friends on the side, and always give advice when I can because I don't want my education to be completely wasted! I even thought about writing a simple skin care booklet to sell, but still haven't had the muster to print it. But now, I have the urge again, and want to share some of my education and experience with you, for FREE!

Of course, not everything I write out is going to work for everyone, because we all have different and unique skin needs. Also, there is a lot more than just face product that will affect your skin... but we'll get to that later!

Normally when I talk to people about their skin care regimen, I'm surprised to hear how clueless they feel when it comes to what product they should use on their face. Not that it's their fault - Ive been there myself, and always thought that what I learned in school is what everyone else knew, and I was the only clueless one! But you're not alone! I've even heard people say"My Grandmother and Mom have great skin, so I'm sure mine will be too." well... Not exactly. Although you will have similar skin traits, you must keep in mind that our environment today is a lot harsher than it was even 20 years ago. We have to combat stronger toxins, harsher UV damage, and even more pollution. Many young people are now tanning at salons, smoking, drinking alcohol and coffee, and these are all culprits of negatively affecting the health of our skin.

That said, the #1 thing you want to keep in mind is Prevention, because when it comes to the health and vitality of your skin, prevention comes first.

Determining Skin Types and Conditions

A skin type is what you are born with, and never changes - with the exception of mature skin.
A skin condition can come and go at any age, for any length of time.

Determining your skin type and any current conditions can prove to be difficult - kind of sounds like a weather report! It's easy to get confused, and mix up a condition for a type and vise versa. When you're trying to identify the issues on your face, try to think if its always been that way, or has changed or appeared recently. That will help you determine if you're treating your skin condition, or type. But, both skin types and conditions are treatable, and can be controlled. (Confused yet?) I'm going to write out a few guidelines to help you determine what your skin type is, and figure out any conditions you may have.

Skin Types

Oily: Excess sebum (oil) production throughout the face, thick shiny skin, large pore size, prone to breakouts and clogged areas, minimal fine lines and wrinkles.

Normal: Sufficient moisture (oil and water), minimal breakouts and clogged areas, small to medium pore size.

Combination: Can have areas that are both oily and dry, large pore size in T-zone (forehead and nose, chin), this is the most common skin type.

Dry: Lacks sebum (oil) production, heightened sensitivity, fine lines and wrinkles, small pore size, skin appears thin and delicate.

Mature: Loose, thin, crepe like skin, wrinkles and deep lines, lacks elasticity and firmness, re-occurring dryness. Most people will eventually have a mature skin type, because our skin naturally looses elasticity, firmness and moisture as we age.

Sensitive/Reactive: Heightened sensitivity, causes red flushed look, and is most prevalent in fair skinned individuals. Sensitive to touch, temperature or even sun/Reactive to skin products and makeup, etc.

Skin Conditions

Rosacea: A vascular disorder, small capillaries become dilated and inflamed, skin becomes red and inflamed around nose, cheeks and chin. Rosacea can be accompanied by acne, small red bumps and couperose. It can appear between the ages of 30-40, and last for years more. It is normally most prevalent in woman and fair skinned individuals, and is aggravated by alcohol, spicy foods and extreme temperatures.

Acne: A Chronic inflammatory disorder of the sebaceous (oil producing) glands. Acne can occur when the hair follicles become plugged with sebum (oil), dead skin cells and bacteria. Acne is most common in preteens and teenagers, 10-19 years of age. Acne can cause blackheads, whiteheads, papules and pustules (Pimples and Zits)

Dehydration: A lack of moisture (water) in the skin. Shows superficial dryness, flakiness, scaliness, can be patchy and usually displays fine lines. Dehydration is normally caused by improper product use, lack of product use, and even environmental influences (seasonal change). Even and oily skin type can be dehydrated!

Couperose: Fine dilated capillaries, normally found on cheeks and nose. Usually cause by damage or trauma to the skin from harsh products, extreme temperature change, chemicals, and sun damage. Causes a persistent red flushed look on cheeks or small red lines around nose.

NOW, go examine your face for a few hours, and decide what skin type you are, and what kind of conditions you have, because my next blog will be about your skin care regimen for your skin type. If you are having a hard time determining what kind of skin you have, leave me a comment with your dilemma, and I will do my best to help you! I hope no one is upset about the change of scenery, I promise to post something about gardening soon! (I just need to get this out of my system!)

No comments:

Post a Comment